Greetings and confabulations!
For starters, let's find the answers to yesterday's three probability questions:
Q: If the probability of a student being nominated as a candidate for class president is 5%, and the probability of his or her actually winning the presidency is 12%, what is the probability of:
1. A student being nominated but not elected? The probability of a student being nominated is .05. The probability of a student, once nominated, of being elected (e.g, both nominated and elected) is .o5 x .12, which equals .006, or 0.6%. The probability of a student being nominated and then nor elected (which is the only alternative possibility) is 1.000 - 0.006 = .994, or 99.4%.
2. A student being neither nominated nor elected? The probability of a student being nominated is .05. If a student is not nominated, he or she cannot become elected. Therefore, the probability of a student's not being nominated is a limiting condition. The probability of a student being neither nominated nor elected is the same as the probability of a studen't not being nominated, which is 1.000 - .05 = .95, or 95%.
3. A student not being nominated, but being elected? If is student is not nominated, the student cannot be elected. Therefore the probability of a student being elected without having first being nominated (barring the possibility of a violent takeover) is 0.0. This was a bit of a trick question. The key here is to always look at the situation and circumstances before applying any math.
Today's exercise is easy. It may just require a dictionary and some courage. Use each of the following words aloud in at least three sentences during the course of this weekend. Be brave -- you can do it!
Have a wonderful, word-filled weekend. Why be laconic when you can be loquacious? Eh?
CELEBRATED INVENTOR OF THE OMNIGADGET
(for a sneak preview of this amazing invention, visit http://TheTNNWomnigadget.blogspot.com