Sequence-solving requires a great deal of mental activity -- it builds the knowledge base, pattern recognition, problem-solving, neuronal plasticity, memory and general intelligence. Here's a wonderful mini-challenge involving sequence-solving and a formula which can be used as a shortcut or a hack. Braintenance is a full-time occupation -- the more of it that you consciously, the more your uber-mind (i.e., superconscious) "takes the wheel" and replays the exercises. More than this, it tends to expand upon them, and experiment with them.
Q: Find the next number in the following arithmetic series/sequence:
1, 2, 6, 24, 120, 720....
Explanation: The numbers in the above sequence are factorials of the integers in order, i.e., 1!, 2!, 3!, 4!, 5!, 6!. The next one in the sequence would be 7!, which equals 5,040.
Shortcut: The formula for estimating any n! is set forth below. If you memorize it, you can amaze your friends at parties and win bets at bars [although I don't advocate gambling -- I only gamble with my life, because I can influence the odds rather than merely trying to calculate them], but you'll still need a good online calculator bookmarked in your mobile device:
Alrighty, my fellow (this includes some women, too) Braintenancers. That about wraps it up for today.
See you soon!
- Integer sequence puzzle in More or Less (aperiodical.com)
- Sensory Substitution: Human Advancement Potential - Communicating In New Ways! (sendingsignals.blogspot.com)
- Business: Bridges? Build. Don't Burn. Relationships Are Precious. (douglasecastle.com)
- Train Your Brain for Math (technology4purpose.edublogs.org)
- Links 4 Life Alerts! Is Moving To A Far, Far Better Place - But The Resources Will Remain Right Here. Don't Worry -- We'll Explain! (links4lifealerts.com)
- Formulas for arithmetic and geometric sequences (Part 1) (meangreenmath.com)
- All About VIN Numbers (cheapautoinsurance.org)
- Magic Square (nofiriantirani.wordpress.com)